Sunday, October 2, 2011

Candied Covered Birthday Wishes

I cant believe it, my son is turning 18! I've watched my son grow from this chubby cheeked lil boy, froggy deep voice, and chili bowl haircut(ya...ya..I know...lol). But he was my baby boy, and now...he's a man. Well, to get back to point I wanted to make the days special and make a special treat being fall, but also something I knew the kids would really LOVE, so last night me and my niece and her g/f  made candied apples.  This was my first time trying this treat and even though we almost screwed them up from lack of reading exact directions, we still figured it out. I wanted to share a few photos considering this was my first attempt at them. I think we(Kriss ,Paula, and I) did a great job and had loads of fun doing it. Its great you can be as creative as you want with these, and the kids loved them, well the adults did too. Hehe. Happy Birthday James, hope you had a wonderful day.

We used Concord Food Candy Apple Kit from Kroger to make the candied & caramel apples. Below is the link to the product we used.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=373208&storeId=10052&langId=-1


At the end of this blog you find a recipe for home made candied apples, I hope you enjoy!

Getting the apples ready to candy

TIP: Granny Smith Apples work best for candy apples



we decided to use the candy & caramel, and white chocolate with peanuts & sprinkles





I think my favorite was the white chocolate covered apples. SO YUMMY!



My neice was LoViN her apple


Lil Bro was diggin his apple, I think he had two or three..lol




Happy Birthday Big Guy(below)...We Love You!

"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."
~ Oprah Winfrey




Recipe: Candy apples

Adapted from MarthaStewart.com
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
  • 6 medium apples
  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; butter or coat parchment with cooking spray, and set aside.
  2. In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, 3/4 cup water, corn syrup, and food coloring, if using. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-high. Insert candy thermometer and continue to boil until temperature reaches between 300 degrees and 310 degrees (hard crack stage), about 20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, insert a wooden stick into the top of each apple, pushing about halfway through; set aside.
  4. When mixture reaches temperature, immediately remove from heat. Working quickly, dip apples in sugar mixture until completely coated. Transfer to prepared baking sheet; allow to cool.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Married and mother of four beautiful children. My life is as busy as a circus. I am always on the go with my family but my photography is as much part of me as my family. Its may passion and joy. I love to put smiles on everyones faces and my photography is an outlet as well as a fix for my own happiness. I love my children and they were the ones who pulled the photographer out of me. As most young mothers we are constantly snapping a camera to capture those many first moments. But friends and family saw something in my photos that made them believe in my ability to create such works of beauty that led me here today. To God I give many thanks for my talents and my blessings. He is the one who enables me to do what I do and he will always be first in my life. I just pray that my camera will always capture joy not sadness and my works will always be appreciated and admired by those who reflect in my lens.